Re: ARTC Vic Train Control

In article <36B97538.99E29E76@melbpc.org.au> John Duncan McCallum <mccallum@melbpc.org.au> writes:
>From: John Duncan McCallum <mccallum@melbpc.org.au>
>Subject: Re: ARTC Vic Train Control
>Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 21:23:52 +1100

>David Bromage wrote:

>> Tony Gatt (tgatt@eisa.net.au) wrote:
>> > That sounds a bit far fetched to me. Why would centrol still exist if it is
>no
>> > longer the train control centre?
>>
>> A goods running from Dynon to North Geelong would be under the control of
>> Centrol, except for Tottenham to Newport. That's the stupid part.
>>
>> If they took over the NE as well, as was stated, Centrol would have to
>> contact Adelaide to release the entry to the Apex siding at Kilmore East.
>>
>> Cheers
>> David

>Are you all positive that Newport to Brooklyn would be controlled from Adelaide?
>As the line is dual gauge, I would think that Adelaide (or wherever SG Control
>is
>located) would be involved only for a SG movement. BG movements would surely be
>under the Centrol as the signalmen at Newport and Brooklyn would take care of
>any
>conflicts.

>John McCallum

Unfortunately no , as I think Mark pointed out in an earlier post , only 1
controller can control one line , doesnt matter whether its dual guage ,
triple guage , gauntlet track etc, for safe working purposes its the same line.
It doesnt matter who the signallers are who work the points / signals etc ,
its who directs the signallers .
Centrol will cease to exist when the successful Vline bidder is announced as
any new operator would want to provide their own train control.
Issuing train orders though from Tottenham Loop to brooklyn / Newport is total
stupidity , even if ARTC wont / cant improve the SG beyong Newport ,
they could at least install a simple version of ATC from Totty Box to Newport
or even to the SCT siding, this way BG trains wouldnt  need to have drivers
qualified in ARTC Train orders and Freightcorp SG trains to the siding wouldnt
need to learn train orders either.

I presume that ARTC trains orders are the same as ex AN trains orders.

MD