Re: Boo Hiss to Hillside

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Which indicates a lack of contingency planning.

Vaughan,

Beside obtain replacement buses and/or directing customers to regular
suburban route buses, can you give some suggestions as to what else can
railways do as part of their "contingency planning".

> > Vaughan, I assume you're talking about up trains running on the down
> line
> > during this disruption.  If this is so, then obviously you don't know
> how
> > railways institute "single line working with pilot person".  Besides,
> the
> > fire at Nunawading happened on a short stretch of grass land between
> up line
> > and private property back fence.  When you have fire trucks and
> emergency
> > workers on the line, you wouldn't want to run any train through that
> > section.
>
> According to the person who kicked off this thread (whose name escapes
> me at the moment because I"m sloshed, having just returned from an xmas
> party), down trains to ringwood were running more or less unaffected.

I'm not sure which trains you're referring to, but I caught 16.17 Lilydale
train from Spencer Street and it was terminated at Box Hill and the train
then returned to Flinders Street.  All I know is trains to Blackburn ran as
per normal (as the fire occurred between Blackburn and Nunawading).

> [snip]
>
> I'm not denying that a fire on or near the tracks would cause
> significant disruption. I am saying that the contingency planning left
> much to be desired.

As mentioned above.

Railvic