Re: Boo Hiss to Hillside

Chris Parnell wrote:

> Caught the 4.11 up from Belgrave to connect to the 1815 Shepparton out of Spencer
> St.( I believe in allowing for plenty of time).  Held at Bayswater, 'fire on the
> line at Nunawading". 10 minutes. Held at Ringwood for about 25 minutes before the Up
> was terminated and turned into 2127 Dn Belgrave. Left standing, 5 down trains had
> come through. Announcement, "fire trucks on the line at Nunawading". Get on a bus at
> 5.50 pm to go to Box Hill. Observe two Up empty cars pass the bus on the way to Box
> Hill. Bus arrives at Box Hill at 6.32,

Snip...

> Hillside advises SM that Hillside Trains do not
> guarantee any connection to any other service.  Boo Hiss. And a vote for excellence
> in customer sevice to VLine Pass.

I agree that it was very good of VLP and Countrylink to help you out like that, and that
what happened with Hillside was unfortunate.
But, what do you suggest that Hillside do? Run passenger trains through the middle of a
fire? Also, in regards to buses, it is very hard to get any number of buses at that time
of day, as most are out on peak hour runs. How can you even suggest that it was bad
management by Hillside, do you think that they told the fire to start?
After a service disruption it as very hard to get things moving again, and often
impractical or dangerous to run passenger trains. I think that Hillside did what they
did with the passenger safety in mind.

Sam Eades