Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

> John MacCallum wrote in message <384ED5B8.E2391D22@MYlisp.com.au>...
>
> >oh boy you lot have little faith in the ability of a human in
> >full flight for fear of their life!
> >
> >I can assure you that as I'm familiar with the design of the cab
> >and emergency exit in an Inter Urban it would take me about 3 seconds to
> >get out and into the main part of the Car. Maybe even
> >less if I was shit scared I was going to get killed.

One point of interest is that doors to the crew compartment on these sets
were altered after the Cowan Bank accident so that they open outward to the
vestibule area, rather than inward as originally designed. This saves vital
seconds in an emergency evacuation of the cab.

The only drawback to this arrangement , as described to me by an intercity
driver, is the habit of some commuters of leaving bicycles or other
obstacles against the door.  Ideally, they also need a yellow painted "do
not obstruct" zone on the floor in this area.

Regards,

Paul