Re: Train Accident in Blue Mountains

> It would seem to me that in the interim , absolute block working would need to
> be implemented and the signalling system switched off.

Why? The signalling system failed SAFE, that is, at its most restrictive aspect. If all the signals
were defective on that line, following that proceedure, you would have a string of "RED" lights
from Lithgow to Penrith.

It also "appears" that the incident of the failed signal was reported and the instructions (as
given by regulations) were to pass said defective signal (on more than one count.. WL2 and W534
given verbal authority to pass the defective signal).

If this is the case, and absolute block working were instituted UFN, I would be more concerned for
safety of an "all human" safeworking, than I would of an "electrically protected safeworking".

Think about it.., without the human override, all trains would have stopped until the signals were
fixed. (impracticle, granted.. but safe no-less).

It is our nature to speculate on the causes.. but for the sake of future safety, please let common
sense prevail.

My thoughts go to those who are directly and indirectly affected by this tragedy.

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.

  Never be afraid to try something new.