Re: Cityrail fare rises suck

In aus.transport on 6 Aug 1999 13:38:21 +1000
C. Dewick <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote:

>Here's an example we can work out together if enough of us are interested.
>From here (Waterfall), the new return fare from the 1st of August will be
>(AUD)$8.80. I'm damn sure that this is going to be *much* cheaper than the
>cost of driving to/from work over the same 'as-the-crow-flies' distance...

What's the distance in km?

I think parking is one of the biggies.  I can get free legal
motorcycle parking in the city, but I have to be quick.  I've
been chatting to someone about a job and one of my requirements will
be cheap bike parking, they are muttering $5 a day, I'm muttering
"free" :)

If you have free parking (where I work it's $12 a year for bikes, which
is close enough) the cost is petrol, tyres/maintenance/depreciation and
time.  If you price your own time at what your employer pays you, then
for me that extra 45mins/hour the bus takes to get me to work is around
$18-$20....

If you have to pay for parking and the traffic makes the driving slow
so the journey times are similar, then public transport looks
much better.

Zebee