Re: Sydenham electrification

Mick <banjunkmail.mzs@eastwood.apana.org.au> wrote, and I selectively
quote:

>I personally like the idea as shown in the 1993 edition of the Melways.
>In case the latest editions don't show (I MUST update one of these years!)....
>
>Proposed stations at:
>(1) (name unknown): North side of Taylors Road - close to a large
>shopping centre.

The new suburb there is Delahey.  There is no shopping centre there in
the 1996 Melways map.

>(2) "New" Sydenham: Approx 1Km south of the current Sydenham
>station.

Correct.  According to the Advocate "almost opposite the  Catholic
Regional College in Sydenham Road, Sydenham."

> (3) (name unknown): At the North end of (proposed?) Western
>Institute of Technology (Keilor Campus) - also has the advantage of
>being at the southern end of Calder Park and a (proposed)
>industrial estate....

Keilor council wanted this one.  Probably won't happen, though if the
private operators of Bayside reckon they can make a quid, they might
extend the line here.  At $6.75 million per kilometre ($27 million for
a 4 km St Albans - Sydenham extension), they'd be looking to get a
good return before they invested in extra electrification (or does the
$27 million include stabling facilities - seems expensive "just" for
electrification).

Regards

Yuri
--