Re: Sydenham electrification

Hi,

Yuri J Sos <steam4me@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
363fc5c1.55474@news.enternet.com.au">news:363fc5c1.55474@news.enternet.com.au...
>The two local newspapers, "Brimbank Independent" and "Brimbank
>Messenger" today carry front page news of the electrification to
>Sydenham.
>
>Major points:
>
>- Current Sydenham station to be demolished and new station built at
>Watergardens Shopping Centre north of the current station; new station
>will include a 1000 car carpark and bus interchange;

Hmmm...I don't quite understand...the present Sydenham station is about as
close as you can get to Watergardens without diverting the track or creating
a massive siding.  Does this mean that the new station will be further away
from the W/G complex itself?  As in, further to walk between the shopping
complex and railway station?

I also noted in the Sunbury Telegraph, how the State Liberal MP Bernie Finn
appears to be very opposed in electrification to Sunbury "It will not
happen", but yet is reported to have said that Sunbury will benefit from the
project, presumably because of the slightly shorter travel times.  He's
obviously very happy to see Sydenham electrified and have electric trains,
rather than comfortable V/line diesels but clearly doesn't want them in
Sunbury  :)

Reuben