Re: National Rail Workings Gs & BLs

Barry Campbell wrote:
> Thanks Craig. I always wondered what was the traffic on the line since I
> went to Colac by train in 1991. So how much traffic is there on this line?
> It seemed pretty dead when I saw it, although I didn't get to see
> Warrnambool yard.

It's not a bad little train the Warrnambool goods, what helps is that
there's traffic both ways - most lines in Victoria have only one-way
traffic (i.e, you're loaded going one way, and empty the other). I only
ever see it laying over at North Geelong on Saturday arvo's, quite often
there's up to 30 containers (10 fully loaded wagons), plus 3 or 4
hoppers of briquettes, plus a handful of vans.  About the time WCR took
over the pass, it ran only twice a week, but has grown to 5 nights a
week, so it appears to be going OK.  As I recall it used to run during
the day - when I went to Warrnambool in the summer of 1992, the pass
8221 (now 8207) crossed it at Colac.  Newsrail from around that time has
a front cover pic of S300 leading an up goods (back in the days when
S300 was a V/Line unit).  You won't see much freight in Warrnambool
yard, there's only ever vans and couple of 'Surepak' type container
wagons in the freightgate siding - the rest goes to the sidings on the
extension towards Dennington.  There's usually about 3 wagons of
containerised briquettes at Colac, plus one or two of 'Surepak'
containers.

Cheers,
Craig.
--