Re: New railway stations in Melbourne

Translib Pty. Ltd. wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> With the discussion of possible new stations and various electrification
> ideas for Melbourne, no-one has yet to suggest an electrification down
> to Geelong (or even South Geelong).  Considering the number of people
> commute between Geelong and Melbourne every working day and travelling
> on the Princess Freeway is not much fun (boring to be precise!).
> Geelong could become part of zone 3 Met Ticket and commuters from
> Geelong will have a direct access to the City Loop stations.  Geelong
> (or South Geelong) train would be the "super express" (ie. North
> Melbourne - Footscray - Newport - Werribee) and retain the Werribee
> train as stopping all stations.  Then again, we may not yet have enough
> suburban trains to take on Geelong runs?
>
> Cheers,
>
> I.C.

> Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
> 712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
> Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
> Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
>                                  Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
> Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
> Serving Your Library and Office Needs
> Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group CCT Approved Library Supplier

  Yeah good idea but when I was working for the railways a number of years
ago this was torpedo as there was a report that the tunnel between Geelong
and South Geelong would cost to much to allow the clearances for the
overhead and that to have the overhead extended to Geelong would only
inconvenience South Geelong passengers so they stayed with diesel traction.
The report was much more intriguing than this as it suggested other remedies
not the least being replacing the complete service with a bus service. As I
saw this about 14 years ago I cannot  remember most of the details as it is
a little hazy now