Re: New railway stations in Melbourne

Peter Mason (Peter_Mason@nabaus.com$SPAM_KILL$.au) wrote:
>Interestingly one of the names that came up on the destination roll was
>"Baxter" - last time I rode the Stony Point line (about 3 months ago)
>there was no power to Baxter.

Destinations such as this have been on the rolls since VR days, in the
expectation of electrication to come. Others include Sunbury and Melton.
Somewhere at home I have a photo of a Hitachi motor at Newport Workshops
showing the destination "Sunbury".

Even the Doggies and Taits had the destinations Morninton and Stony Point.
The Doggies did actually display these destinations in service when
hauling E trains. For those about to ask the obvious question, I'll
explain E trains. A pair of Doggie motors, usually an ABM and a BM, would
haul up to 4 screw coupled swing door cars behind them. Cars typically
used were G, ABL, AV and BV cars, C vans, ABC and BC car/vans. PL cars
were also probably used from time to time, but I have never seen this in
photos. At Frankston, the electric cars would uncouple and a steam loco,
usually a K, would haul the train on to Mornington or Stony Point. E
trains also ran to Healesville and Warburton.

Cheers
David