Re: National Rail Workings Gs & BLs

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998 daproc@bigfoot.com wrote:

> In article <6f82tq$38k_012@melbpc.org.au>,
>   mccallum@melbpc.org.au (John McCallum) wrote:
> >
> > In article <6eva5a$m02$2@gruvel.une.edu.au>, dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David
> Bromage) wrote:
> >
> > >The word from inside V/Line Freight is that it is important for marketing
> > >purposes for the Gs to work right through to Perth. With up to 4 trains
> > >per week, this will probably take up the bulk of the G class fleet. Up to
> > >fifteen 81s may be leased from FreightCorp to cover V/Line grain traffic.
> > >Can anyone confirm any of this?
> >
> > 81s on broad gauge? I'd like to see that.
>
> Who said anything about broad gauge? What about the standard gauge lines in
> the Horsham / Dimboola area (I know there are some, but I cant think which
> ones).

88km line to marybourgh then 25 km to dual guage grain transfer at dunolly
Yaripeet and one towards mildura (can't remeber what they can it now after
they shortened it) North of dimboola and the std guage line from Arrat to
Portland.  double 81's could move grain from the transfer silos to
Portland thus moving a fair wack of Harvest.

Talking of victoria, what traffic is carried on the warranbool line,
Grain?