Re: Changes in Melbourne

Michael Walker wrote:

> Roderick Smith wrote:
> >
> > Another solution would be to run six-car trains splitting at Ringwood.
> > This is what Scharfenburg couplers were designed to make easy.  Try
> > visiting Netherlands to see effective and efficient use of this technique.
> >

> Yes but I am sure the Netherlands also look after their couplers
> properly. If I am not mistaken, Scharfenburg couplers come with covers
> under normal circumstances. In Victoria's case, to save money, we bought
> them without the covers. Indeed about a year or so ago, all lines except
> Upfield ran 6 car trains off peak purely because the Scharfenburg
> couplers weren't seperating with any reliability. All of them urgently
> underwent maintenance over a period of roughly 6-8 weeks (am not sure
> exactly as it was a while ago now) and when enough were overhauled to be
> vaguley reliable, the services went back to normal. Having said all
> that, I doubt they are reliable enough to seperate trains regulalry with
> eg at Ringwood (or Dandenong possibly for that matter). And I am sure
> passengers would prefer to change trains than have no train at all.

If they ever bring in the new timtealbe (after closuer of the Flinders Street
Yard) they say that between the peek periods (9:30am - 4:00pm M-F) they will
have 6 car trains at 15 minute intervals on 'almost all lines'.

> > Passengers would be more inclined to change trains if Melbourne stations
> > were designed for cross-platform interchange.  Box Hill, Blackburn and
> > Ringwood would all benefit from having three tracks served by two island
> > platforms (ie the centre track has platform faces on each side).  This is
> > common practice overseas, and there were two examples in Adelaide.  At
> > least the current government has stopped used the phrase 'World best
> > pracice', something which has not been adopted in any phase of our
> > operations.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Roderick Smith
> > Rail News Victoria Editor

Yes they could have a stopping all stations train to Blackburn followed by an
express stopping, Richmond, Gelnferrie, Camberwell, Box Hill, Blackburn and all
stations to Belgrave/Lylidale.  And the other way around for city bound trains.
This for all off peek Trains.

Chris Gordon
cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord