Re: Changes in Melbourne

Chris Gordon wrote:

> Michael Walker wrote:
> >
> > David Proctor wrote:
> > >
> > > Mick Stock <mzs@eastwood.apana.org.au> wrote in article
> > > <Pine.LNX.3.96.980116211828.17753A-100000@eastwood.apana.org.au>...
> > > <scissors out - big snip>

> > > for

> > > early
> > >
> > > To save costs, why dont they jsut run a half-hourly, six car train to
> > > Ringwood and divide it there - three cars to Belgrave and three cars to
> > > Lilydale? On the return the sets would combine at Ringwood. This would save
> > > on crewing costs, at the same time as providing a half-hourly service.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > David Proctor
> > > daproc@bigfoot.com
> >
> > My understanding of Metrail procedure regarding splitting trains (or in
> > railwayspeak DAP - Divide At Platform), passengers are not allowed on
> > trains whilst they are being split for safety reasons. Even Met Trains
> > wouldn't be game to kick all the passengers off a six car set to split
> > it at Ringwood.
>
> The spliting is a good idea but....
> On Sunday and Weeknights you have a shuttle service from Ringwood to the other
> line.  ie.  A belgrave train from the city and a few minutes after leaving
> ringwood a Lylidale trains comes in and goes to Lylidale.
>
> Why not do this on Saturday so you get the following service
> Weeknights, 30 minutes all stations served
> Saturdays, 20 minutes all stations served (formally alt. lines after ringwood)
> Sundays, 30 all stations served
>
> Chris Gordom
> cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au
> http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

Actually, the trains to/from the city alternate Belgrave, Lilydale,
Belgrave, Lilydale, etc with the other line served by a connecting
train. Just out of interest, does anyone know why the PTC do this (and
have done for years) instead of having just direct trains to one
destination and a connecting train for the other?