Re: Changes in Melbourne

Michael Walker wrote:

> David Proctor wrote:
> >
> > Mick Stock <mzs@eastwood.apana.org.au> wrote in article
> > <Pine.LNX.3.96.980116211828.17753A-100000@eastwood.apana.org.au>...
> > <scissors out - big snip>
> >
> > > What we need on the Lilydale & Belgrave lines during the weekend is as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > >     Saturday:  Keep current timetable until about 7:45am, then use
> > > existing Sunday t/t until about 6:30pm, then revert to current Sat t/t
> > for
> > > the rest of the night, OR new timetable after 7:45am - same as weekdays,
> > > but without peak period extras??  Considering that most trains on Sat are
> > > packed, this would be a good thing! Better still, run 6-car trains all
> > > day.
> > >
> > >     Sunday:    Use current Saturday t/t until about 7:45am, then old Sun
> > > t/t for the rest of the day/night.
> > >
> > >     This will give travellers on both lines a regular 30 min daytime
> > > service (as we currently get on weekdays), plus the extra trains for
> > early
> > > Sunday mornings.
> >
> > To save costs, why dont they jsut run a half-hourly, six car train to
> > Ringwood and divide it there - three cars to Belgrave and three cars to
> > Lilydale? On the return the sets would combine at Ringwood. This would save
> > on crewing costs, at the same time as providing a half-hourly service.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > David Proctor
> > daproc@bigfoot.com
>
> My understanding of Metrail procedure regarding splitting trains (or in
> railwayspeak DAP - Divide At Platform), passengers are not allowed on
> trains whilst they are being split for safety reasons. Even Met Trains
> wouldn't be game to kick all the passengers off a six car set to split
> it at Ringwood.

The spliting is a good idea but....
On Sunday and Weeknights you have a shuttle service from Ringwood to the other
line.  ie.  A belgrave train from the city and a few minutes after leaving
ringwood a Lylidale trains comes in and goes to Lylidale.

Why not do this on Saturday so you get the following service
Weeknights, 30 minutes all stations served
Saturdays, 20 minutes all stations served (formally alt. lines after ringwood)
Sundays, 30 all stations served

Chris Gordom
cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord