Re: Melbourne's Old Train Fleet

> also pretty sure that the 4D is the same length as a 3-car Comeng, as
> existing stations were supposed to be able to take an 8-car 4D without
> alterations, and a '3 car Comeng + 4D' used to fit platform length easily.
>
> Also, when the 4D first appeared, it was supposed to be the first of a
> fleet of 18 (2 x 4-car sets?) which were to be introduced on the
> Lilydale/Belgrave lines. At that time, they were not going to be
> introduced on other lines until a (much?) later date, according to TV and
> newspaper reports at the time, and even then only on the longer distant
> runs.
>
> Mick.
>
> p.s. Does anyone know why the 4D HASN'T been running with a 3-car Comeng
> attached since Dec 96?  Since then, it has only been running as a single
> 4D set, even during peak periods.... needless to say, hopelessly
> overcrowded!
>
>SNIP
When the 4D arrived we were told that the only changes were removal of a
lot of side glass a/c vandalism. That less than an inch had been lost in
height [they wanted more for Swanston St Bridge] and that they had been
narowed slightly!
I never heard or saw any thing that sugested they were shorter, and
having used both types of "tangara" I cant see the difference.
Corten Steel cars are longer than Comeng cars, but because the bogies
are mounted further from the ends,for high speed comfort etc, they need
broader banked curves. These Cars are allowed in the Melbourne
Underground. So I dont think the Tunnel size has anything to do with the
4D being built to Near enough Sydney Specs. Goninan had to use modified
Tangara Jigs in the assembly or they would have been unable to build it
for the price>>The 4D when it arrived gave Met Drivers a chance to
experience what we always knew...That Sydney Sparks accelerated and
stopped in ways we could only dream of...To match the Comenge fleet, our
Engineers destroyed a great train and set it up with Comenge shit
braking, and similar lousy acceleration. I hate the idea of
Privatisation, but even asset stripping Yanks couldn't be that sick
...could they??
   By the way the Feds bought the 4D as a one off...Never was any order
for more..Goninen got 4 times the cost of a Tangara, because the
possibility of an order was remote....more crony-ism I think/
                    Rod Young