Re: Melbourne's Old Train Fleet

I. C.
     Platforms were lengthened to accomadate 8 car Tates and again prior
to the introduction of The original 6 car Stainless Steel Sets.
     Platforms were again adjusted prior to the arrival of the Comenge
Sets by moving the track away by about 10 inches [where possible, but
concrete saws were used to remove about 10" from the coping, where not]
     The 4D caused modifications to the overhead,as it was built to
similar standards as the Comenge. Swanston St was a major problem,
because it was difficult to lower the track, because of the platforms,
and more importantly, Sea level and drainage Problems!
     Most Met People would be very surprised if a Government ordered
Double Deckers for Melbourne. The shorter Cars needed for Sydneys Old
Undergound[?] do not give us enough advantage over our Long cars. I am
also told that Comenge length Double Deck Cars would have some weight
problems, which our Engineers believe,are not able to be solved at this
time.
     The Clifton Hill Group has Long, Very sharp tunnels and longer cars
under extraordinary circumstances might touch the tunnel walls. But
regardless of this, safety standards would not be met in these places.
                           regards
                              Rod Young