Re: Melbourne's Old Train Fleet

Ashley Wright wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 1998 23:51:58 +1100, Rod Young <berlina@bigpond.com>
> wrote:

Double Deckers for Melbourne. The shorter Cars needed for Sydneys Old
> >Undergound[?] do not give us enough advantage over our Long cars. I am
> >also told that Comenge length Double Deck Cars would have some weight
> >problems, which our Engineers believe,are not able to be solved at this
> >time.
>
>   How much different in length are the Melbourne trains compared to
> the Sydney types???.

 The carrages on 4D are not only lower and narrower than a Tangara, they
are shorter as well.
 If Melbourne can run longer cars than Sydney, why were the 4D cars
shortened ?. Were they shortened only to keep the length of a 4 car set
near that of a 3 car Comeng set ?

 Its kinda amusing to find that the city with the widest track guage has
the narrowest loading guage and that the narrow guage cities have wide

Matthew Geier,                          matthew@law.usyd.edu.au
Computer Systems Manager,               +61 2 9351 0240
Law School, University of Sydney        +61 2 9351 0200 (fax)