Re: Stations

einsaar@bigpond.com wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the original name for Strathfield station was
> and also what were the number and names of the stations on the
> original Sydney to Parramatta line  in 1855
>
> Arthur Einsaar.

The original stations on the Sydney to Parramatta Railway on opening in
1955.

Sydney (original site, tracks terminated just south of current Devonshire
St tunnel)

Newtown (original site, opposite Station St, west of current station)

Ashfield

Burwood (original site, just west of Burwood Rd)

Homebush

Parramatta (original site, approx 1 km west of Granville platforms, site
now covered by flyovers for Cumberland Line)

Strathfield opened as a halt, Redmyre on 9/7/1876, platform provided
1877, renamed Strathfield 8/3/1885, station rebuilt on new site on
quadruplication, opened 23/9/1900, rebuilt again on new (current) site
with opening of sextupulation to Homebush on 6/11/1922.

NSWRTM, 1980)
                     How and Why of Station Names (SRAofNSW, second
edition 1982)

I hope this will provide the answer you are looking for.  James McInerney