Re: Derivation of Gunzel

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3A966024.99942920@ozemail.com.au">news:3A966024.99942920@ozemail.com.au...
> Steve Zvillis wrote:
>
> > John Kerley <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > D7mk6.2268$v4.96079@ozemail.com.au">news:D7mk6.2268$v4.96079@ozemail.com.au...
> > >
> > > Is not the term "gricer" the British equivalent of gunzel?
> >
> > I seem to recall that "Gricer" was a non insulting term referring to
British
> > fans who were principally interested in particular locomotives (diesels)
> > either by chasing them down around the country (Hard work if you like
'08's
> > or '47's [or now even '66's!!]) or riding behind them.
>
> Every time I hear the term "Gricer" I am reminded of an article in
"Picture"
> magazine which was about buffs in the buff.  These "Gricers" were running
around
> railway yards taking photos of themselves in front of locos wearing only a
> safety vest!

That reminds me of the combined D.V.R. / D.R.R. "Hash House Harriers"
chartered train that ran from Devonport to Hobart 12 months ago. As the
train ran through Devonport goods yards, the local freight contractor (being
a member of the H.H.H. himself), decided he would amuse his compatriots on
the train by running alongside it, through the yard, clad only in safety
boots and a hi -vis vest and nothing else! The H.H.H. passengers, already on
the way to being highly inebriated, were particularly amused by the sight,
as were the contractors employees looking on and cheering from the
sidelines! It was also featured (censored of course) in the local televised
media coverage of the event.This was to be a precursor to some astonishingly
deviant (but quite safe) behaviour by the passengers, for the rest of the
trip, that proved to be quite entertaining for many of us crewing the train
at the time! We still often reminise about it even now!
Regards,
Steve Z.