Derivation of Gunzel

Dear all

I am intrigued by the Gunzel thread.

As I remember the term came to prominence some time in the late 70's or
early 80's and was specifically directed at a few individuals on VR fan
trips who were complete and utter idiots. It's derivation is unknown but
I was frequent user of the term along with the likes of Tony Marsden,
George Bambery and fans of similar vintage. I do not claim it to be
Victorian but we certainly used it often.

I can tell you for sure that we certainly did not analyse it to death,
associate it with oral sex-loving homosexuals or look in the dictionary
for a definition. It has the same deep, spritual meaning as dick head or
fuckwit.

More specifically, I can recall applying it to an individual on the
double GM's to Albury trip around 1984, who, in 40 plus degree heat, got
out at a photo stop at Springhurst and proceeded to take photos whilst
wearing blue Ansell rubber dish-washing gloves! I have a slide of the
aforemetioned individual caught in the act. I had to take the shot at
1/1000th of a second as I was laughing so much.

I trust that this is ample demonstration of its historical context. I
would probably come to the same conclusion if I saw something as equally
stupid today.

Peter
East Burwood, Vic