Re: Derivation of Gunzel

David Bennetts <davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
DLgk6.2123$v4.92067@ozemail.com.au">news:DLgk6.2123$v4.92067@ozemail.com.au...

> ">
> > We have the same sort of idiots here in the U.S.  No special term for
them
> > except to lump the idiots in with all railfans.
>
> Thought that the North American term was "foamer", in UK aren't they known
> as "anoraks".
>
> Regards
>
> David Bennetts

Is not the term "gricer" the British equivalent of gunzel?  Whilst gricers
are stereotyped as always wearing anoraks, the term "anorak" seems in modern
British parlance to be a general term applied to all sorts of people who
don't fit the mainstream, not just railway enthusiasts.

As mentioned in previous posts, the term gunzel has become much more
respectable in the past decade or so, even to the extent that several
posters to this group include it in their e-mail address - including one who
appears also guilty of overacting!

Nevertheless there are still a few rail fans who get quite upset when I ask
how their gunzelling is going.

Yours in gunzelling,

John Kerley