Re: Derivation of Gunzel

John Kerley <deaftech@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
D7mk6.2268$v4.96079@ozemail.com.au">news:D7mk6.2268$v4.96079@ozemail.com.au...

> Is not the term "gricer" the British equivalent of gunzel?

I seem to recall that "Gricer" was a non insulting term referring to British
fans who were principally interested in particular locomotives (diesels)
either by chasing them down around the country (Hard work if you like '08's
or '47's [or now even '66's!!]) or riding behind them. Other terms like
"Spotter" (self explanatory and the more civilised class of "Anorak") and
"Basher" (an enthusiast who insists on covering as much track milage as
possible) are of British origin AFAIK.
Of course I might be wrong. I expect a U.K. correspondent to set me
straight!!
Regards, Steve Z.