Re: Boom gates for level crossing tragedy spot

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:30:32 +1100, BEE EFF <mcreely@pnc.com.au>
wrote:

>Maurie,
>
>As a person who does regular trips to Junee, I would have to disagree about
>there not being many crossings (and those that are having heaps of booms)
>between Sydney and Junee.

I agree that there are crossings on the main line but NSW rail seems
to have at least tried much harder than most other jurisdictions to
use bridges where possible , this minimising the crossing numbers .

>Most X-ings with booms you will find are in Major towns ie:Goulburn,
>Cootamundra and Junee, but aside from that there are bucket loads of pedestrian
>X-ings, private X-ings etc these are protected by either lights only or warning
>signs.
Yes fair enuf , and thats to be expected .

>As far as what X-ing gets what protection I would say it would depend on if any
>one was killed at it(not being facetious), if a member of parliament lives near
>by(as seems the case with Nubba Gates), visibility(a number of new speed boards
>have popped up near  X-ings - acccount visibilty) and lastly public opinion.

I understand that the funds for Nubba Gates were in fact the funds for
boom barriers at the Olympic Highway crossing at Coota West where the
gates are ,and somehow the funds got "diverted".

MD