Re: Boom gates for level crossing tragedy spot

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:17:36 +1100, "f.u.i.t.b.e.t"
<fuitbet@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Here,here these fuckwits got exactly what they were looking for a race with
>a high speed train,however there is always a winner and a loser...they lost
>and my heart bleeds..........not..........what about the passengers safety
>etc.........yet they are made out to be the victims ha ha ......
>"Marc Hunt" <march@pip.com.au> wrote in message 3a88f65b@news">news:3a88f65b@news...
>> Here we go with another left wing, bleeding heart, tree hugging, hippie
>> piece of crap spending thousands of the public money because 5 dickheads
>> decided to ignore all the rules and kill themselves. There are just so
>many
>> examples of this knee jerk crap, Port Arthur, Seat Belts, 50kmph streets,
>> it's just getting totally unbelieveable.
>> Everyone wants absolute total freedom to anything they want no matter how
>> stupid it is, band then when it goes wrong the first thing they shout is
>> "I'm not responsible, why did society let me do it ?" .
>> Total freedom with no responsibility.
>> Think about it
>> Flame away
>> Marc Hunt
>>
>> PS.
>> My diatribe is not directed at you personally David, just the events.
>> MH

Part of this problem is that there appears to be huge inconsistancies
in what sort of protection level crossings get within and across
jurisdictions .
As an example if we consider the Sydney - Melb line from Sydney to
Junee, there arnt many levet crossings , and what there are in the
main have boom barriers , even on fairly minor roads.
South of Junee however as far as Albury , there are far less boom
barriers , even though the crossings are still on major roads
In Victoria there are even less again boom barriers , relying mainly
on flashing lights only.

The obvious question is are there any rules , written or unwritten
which determine on what basis a particular crossing gets what sort of
protection.
Who makes these decisions??

MD