Re: Boom gates for level crossing tragedy spot

Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3a8b30a7.16531326@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a8b30a7.16531326@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> Part of this problem is that there appears to be huge inconsistancies
> in what sort of protection level crossings get within and across
> jurisdictions .
> As an example if we consider the Sydney - Melb line from Sydney to
> Junee, there arnt many levet crossings , and what there are in the
> main have boom barriers , even on fairly minor roads.
> South of Junee however as far as Albury , there are far less boom
> barriers , even though the crossings are still on major roads
> In Victoria there are even less again boom barriers , relying mainly
> on flashing lights only.
>
> The obvious question is are there any rules , written or unwritten
> which determine on what basis a particular crossing gets what sort of
> protection.
> Who makes these decisions??

I would say it's because the section Junee- Albury is single rather than
double line, and the booms are to stop people crossing if two trains pass on
or near the crossing in opposite directions.

Dave Malcolm