Re: [QLD] Red Rattlers be damned!

"Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
1qud6.4562$Ac6.90551@ozemail.com.au">news:1qud6.4562$Ac6.90551@ozemail.com.au...
> The guards right of way indicators at Central station show the illuminated
> semaphore symbol at 45 degrees when the signal clears but from memory a
letter
> E appears below the semaphore until the signal clears sufficiently for a
> diesel loco of a train to be stopped clear of the tunnel by the next
signal at
> danger.  The E of course signifies electrics only (loco hauled or EMUs).
An
> illuminated D is also shown when clearance is sufficient for the diesel to
> clear the tunnel.
>
> Did I get that right (6 months since I was last there)?

Yes you did. Of course that only applies to the old tunnels. The new tunnels
are equipped with automatic jet fans. A computer reads the train ID number
of each train that enters the new tunnels. If the system identifies the
train as being diesel or steam, the jet fans switch on for 5 minutes. As a
backup, the system also times each track circuit occupancy to determine the
train is still moving. If not, the jet fans remain on for 10 minutes after
the train has been detected as moving again.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, Australia

Email - mattyq1009 at dingoblue dot net dot au

Notice - All comments and opinions made herein are that of the author only
and do not represent the official view of QR. All text included in this post
(and/or reply) is copyright to the author. This message may not be
reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of the
author.