Re: [QLD] Red Rattlers be damned!

david wrote:

> OOPS the van cars were stainless steel. Qlders know what I mean.  I remmeber them at
> Toowong in the early 80's.

IIRC those Brisbane stainless steel cars were built for a steam-to-
electrification project from the early 1960s that never went ahead. They
ended up being pulled by diesel locos.

Brisbane had very old swing-door wooden dog-box cars that I remember
being pulled by steam locos when I visited there when I was very young
in the 1960s, and some were still running being pulled by diesel locos
when I spent a year there (living in Warrawee Street Toowong, my brother
still lives in the same house) in 1969-70.  I can't remember the colour,
they may have been red. They may have been green. Or both. They were
damned archaic I can tell you.

When was Brisbane's last steam-hauled train in regular passenger
service? I remember when I was very small being on one going through the
tunnel between Central and the Valley. The carriage filled up with soot.
I've not been a fan of steam trains much since though I do take my kids
on museum ones that run here from time to time, for the fun of it.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand