Re: Rope's creek line and new housing area (possibility of new life)

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 11:45:30 GMT, "Doug Rosser"
<dougrosser@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>I spent my University Vacation there in the early 70's. Used to by a
>concession weekly from Strathfield - each week I had the next consecutive
>number on the ticket.
>I think even then there only three services a day, 2 morning ones (the early
>one for the workers, the later one for 'staff' (which included undergraduate
>engineers) then everybody came home on the evening one at the same time.
>Exit from the station required showing your pass to the Commonweatlh
>Policeman on duty.

When I did the parcel vans (this would have been early 80's), there
were two yoyo runs from St Marys, the first very early, and the second
an hour and a half or so later. You'd sit at Ropes Creek for quite a
while each time.

Then you'd run to Blacktown and out to Riverstone and back. By perhaps
the most ridiculous piece of timetabling in railway history anywhere
in the world, this 2 van and 2 car set was the first service out of
Riverstone (then the limit of electrification) after 9am, and of
course in those days the pensioner excursion ticket (then 60 cents)
was not available for travel prior to 9am. Of course the thing would
be packed, parcel vans and all. It was the oddest thing, the two
parcel vans would be full of elderly ladies going to Blacktown or
Parramatta to do some shopping, sitting on the parcels, or standing,
hanging on for grim death.

By the rules, I should have refused them entry to the vans, but the
next service wasn't for another hour- how could I refuse to carry
them? I wonder how I or other guards would have got on if someone had
been injured or worse. Would I have been supported by the Authority?
We wil never know.

paul x is the spam filter