Re: Rope's creek line and new housing area (possibility of new life)

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 22:04:22 GMT, "Tony Gatt"
<baulko@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>"Rjaygee" <dartmouthmotel@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>m9_x6.7830$45.44268@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:m9_x6.7830$45.44268@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
>> Yes, sandstone from the Northern sewage tunnel was dumped out Ropes Creek
>by
>> freight train from Rozelle to provide the base for a new container freight
>> depot.
>
>It was placed at St Mary's, on the Ropes Creek Line. There are no tracks
>thru the old level crossing before Dunheved, and Dunheved is a mess :/

The level crossing was actually beyond Dunheved, between Dunheved and
Cochrane. Where you might have seen was the relatively recent (1990 or
so) extension of Christie Street, where the tracks were lifted in
order to build the road, which connects North St Marys with Werrington
County and Mt Pleasant/Cranebrook.

Kind of symbolic I suppose. The line is still there on either side of
this newish road, which does carry much more traffic than the old
branch line ever did.

I remember some freezing mornings as a guard quite a few years ago, on
the parcel van sets (2 vans/2 pass cars) that ran out there close to
the very end. Wish I'd taken a camera. It was just about the only way
you could get into the ADI area (known as the munitions back then).

;paul x is the spam filter