Re: Latest news on Speedrail

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 19:49:59 +1000, "Barry Campbell"
<campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Maurie Daly wrote in message <39d57ec8.1244105@can-news.tpg.com.au>...
>>On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:21:38 +1000, "Tezza"
>><tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
>>

>>>"David Head" <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
>>>39C979AF.7C9545E3@nmit.vic.edu.au">news:39C979AF.7C9545E3@nmit.vic.edu.au...
>>>it
>trucks
>>>as
>>>
>>>Probably not, when it still has to be moved by truck at each end.
>>>

>>Yes, the double handling costs of having to transship goods from rail
>>to road at each end in order to deliver to the final customer makes
>>rail even less attractive than it could be.
><snip>
>
>My experience has been that no matter what the linehaul method used, be it
>train, plane or truck, small freight still has to be transshipped at a depot
>somewhere. It is pretty difficult to pack a semi trailer in Sydney with
>freight in the correct order for delivery in Melbourne.
>
>Barry Campbell

In Canberra where I live , loaded semis come in every night and
deliver goods direct into the shopping centres.
The Westfield shopping centre in Belconnen can take B doubles straight
into its loading bays.
As far as small items go , all I ever see on trains these days are
containers.
Rail doesnt seem to be able to carry anything less than container
loads.
Trucks carry anything that needs to be carried.
Maybe this is part of the problem.

MD