Re: Latest news on Speedrail

Maurie Daly wrote in message <39d57ec8.1244105@can-news.tpg.com.au>...
>On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:21:38 +1000, "Tezza"
><tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
>

>>"David Head" <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
>>39C979AF.7C9545E3@nmit.vic.edu.au">news:39C979AF.7C9545E3@nmit.vic.edu.au...
>>> David points it out clearly as savinf the roads from further congestion,
>>it
>>> will assist in the safty (road toll), and will probally affect the
trucks
>>as
>>> parcels and the like will go by train, alot quicker than truck,
>>
>>Probably not, when it still has to be moved by truck at each end.
>>

>Yes, the double handling costs of having to transship goods from rail
>to road at each end in order to deliver to the final customer makes
>rail even less attractive than it could be.
<snip>

My experience has been that no matter what the linehaul method used, be it
train, plane or truck, small freight still has to be transshipped at a depot
somewhere. It is pretty difficult to pack a semi trailer in Sydney with
freight in the correct order for delivery in Melbourne.

Barry Campbell