Re: Latest news on Speedrail

Tezza wrote in message
<39d5feb3$0$5072$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

>"Barry Campbell"
>
>> My experience has been that no matter what the linehaul method used, be
it
>> train, plane or truck, small freight still has to be transshipped at a
depot
>> somewhere. It is pretty difficult to pack a semi trailer in Sydney with
>> freight in the correct order for delivery in Melbourne.
>
>Most rail containers are bulk-packed, going to the one addressee.

That's true and it's also true of the consignments that Maurie was referring
to that go to Coles and Woolworths. I was thinking of parcels/ small freight
stuff such as Ipec and other express freight carriers deal in. Because of
the fragmented nature of this stuff it has to be concentrated and de
concentrated at depots. Not only that it commands a high freight charge.
AFAIK rail has pretty well given up on this stuff.

Barry Campbell