Re: [NSW] quality of trains on airport line

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message

> "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> qdrS5.38222$SF5.715483@ozemail.com.au">news:qdrS5.38222$SF5.715483@ozemail.com.au...

Regular
> > upset about getting something worse.
>
> > You're dodging the issue Tezza.
>
> As you can see I adressed what I knew about it. I didn't dodge anything at
> all.

Perception is as real as it gets in this fickle world.

> >  Why stable better trains and run those in
> > worse condition?  This is (or was) an issue on weekends if not weekdays.
>
> Ask whoever rosters the trains.

My question was aimed at you for your view that using poorer rolling stock
is a
non-issue to travellers.  Why would YOU use inferior rolling stock when
better is stabled elsewhere?

 > > Using the best available trains is about maximising the chance of
repeat
> > business.  This may not be a significant factor at International station
but
> > it is at the other three stations where many users are (or would be)
locals
> > and regulars.  Grotty trains plant the seeds of doubt about security,
> > maintenance and reliability.
>
> These are the very people who would already be used to the trains and
wouldn't
> avoid the rip-off stations because of it.

I have no evidence to contradict you, but I assume (please correct me, but
only if I'm wrong) your evidence is your dogma.

> > On the issue of usage (or lack there of) cost is a significant factor
but
> > hardly the only one.  Once you have someone travelling,
>
> Which they won't do with rip-off prices.

12,500 won'ts that is too.

> > train presentation,
>
> I don't think that's really an issue for casual users.

Of course it's an issue.  Look at how obsessive people can be about, car
types and cleanliness, mobile phone covers, dress................. (or my
obsession about this argument).  Its all back to perception and poor
perception is a killer in this world.

> > ease of changing trains,
>
> That's obviously a problem and a hard one to remedy.

On-time trains help.  It's as easy now as it's ever going to get at Central.
Good planning means that you can travel from any City Circle station direct
to the AL (except for 50% of weekend trains - bung another hurdle on the
path).

> > late running trains,
>
> Again, I don't think that's really an issue, remember you're supposed to
> check-in 2 to 3 hours before departure.

Not domestic, book in time is 30 minutes.  A late (or cancelled) train can
mean a missed plane or close call and extra stress - perception rears its
ugly head once again.
CityRail's on-time standards, if maintained however, are appropriate.

> > cancelled (or Illawarra Localised) trains, signal and point failures,
> inadequate publicity,
>
> That's another fault of the owners of the stations.

Whoa - how the hell did you arrive at that conclusion (you didn't skip the
first three stations, I mean first three points did you)???  On the fourth
one you are right although CityRail's AL sign explosion indicates second
thoughts on their policy.

> > negative
> > publicity (and no doubt other factors such as the TVMs) can easily turn
> > passengers off further usage if not managed well.  Having made the
decision
> > to travel initially a passenger is a good part of the way to having
decided
> > that the service does represent value for money.
>
> Except that they're not making that initial decision.

12,500 a day are.

> >  It needs the other
> > elements to support this conclusion.
>
> > Thanks to the last NSW Coalition Govt we're stuck with the
public/private
> > partnership and the attendant cost structure.  Why throw a single
further
> > unnecessary obstacle to encouraging repeat usage?
>
> I haven't seen any reports on repeat usage. They can't get initial usage
due
> to rip-off prices.

I hearby report my repeat usage.  6 return trips to Domestic since opening
and many more to come.  It is easier than catching the STA's Airport Express
and >$20 one way anihilates a $180 cab fare (and CityRail is usually just as
quick and more reliable, at least in the AM peak, between Hazelbrook and
Domestic).

Chris