Re: [NSW] quality of trains on airport line

Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3a19ce7b$0$19420$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a19ce7b$0$19420$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> 6qfS5.37803$SF5.704291@ozemail.com.au">news:6qfS5.37803$SF5.704291@ozemail.com.au...
> > Tezza <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
> > > "Chris Downs"
> > they're going to get so it was never an issue for stopping people from
using
> > the AL, just another bullshit excuse from the operators. If the lower
the
> > fares, people will use it.

> > grotier rolling stock - a marketing masterstroke.
> > >
> > > The Campbelltown Tangaras are out every weekend, but as I said people
> > don't
> > > know what train they're going to get so it's not a real issue. Regular
> > > commuters will of course get used to getting a certain class and get
upset
> > > about getting something worse.
> >
> > Sounds like dodgy logic to me.  If people don't know what sort of train
> > they're going to get then you would want to maximise their chances of
> > getting a newer & cleaner train so that you have a better chance of
leaving
> > a favourable impression.
> >
> > And this doesn't just apply to the AL.
>
> "Build it and they will come" eh? And you reckon I was using dodgy logic.
> People aren't *not* using the Airport stations because of the trains
(forget
> the double negative). If they don't know what train they're going to get,
that
> can't be the reason not to use it. Especially interstate and overseas
visitors
> who wouldn't have a clue about our trains. People *are* using the Airport
line
> in their hundreds of thousands, so it can't be the trains. They're *not*
using
> the 4 private stations, so gee, could it be because they're a rip-off?

You're dodging the issue Tezza.  Why stable better trains and run those in
worse condition?  This is (or was) an issue on weekends if not weekdays.

Using the best available trains is about maximising the chance of repeat
business.  This may not be a significant factor at International station but
it is at the other three stations where many users are (or would be) locals
and regulars.  Grotty trains plant the seeds of doubt about security,
maintenance and reliability.

On the issue of usage (or lack there of) cost is a significant factor but
hardly the only one.  Once you have someone travelling, train presentation,
ease of changing trains, late running trains, cancelled (or Illawarra
Localised) trains, signal and point failures, inadequate publicity, negative
publicity (and no doubt other factors such as the TVMs) can easily turn
passengers off further usage if not managed well.  Having made the decision
to travel initially a passenger is a good part of the way to having decided
that the service does represent value for money.  It needs the other
elements to support this conclusion.

Thanks to the last NSW Coalition Govt we're stuck with the public/private
partnership and the attendant cost structure.  Why throw a single further
unnecessary obstacle to encouraging repeat usage?

Chris