Re: Dorrigo 19th Century Treasures

James Brook wrote....

> Who said I was "slagging off"?

I don't think you were the target of this comment. I certainly do not put
you in this category.

> All I have said is that maybe Dorrigo
> should stop collecting everything in sight until they are in a position
> to preserve their collection properly, ie: undercover. I think it is a
> valid suggestion that maybe Dorrigo should put their resources into
> their extensive collection, rather than leaving it out in the open as
> they aquire more items that are already preserved elsewhere in NSW.

We ARE putting our resources into our collection. Obviously you have a
different opinion about our ongoing aquisition policy - fair enough. But it
is our money and labour which is going into the project, so it is our
objectives and priorities which are being pursued.

> Puffing
> Billy has only saved narrow gauge items and this is where it differs
> from Dorrigo.

Dorrigo has only saved standard gauge items and this is where it differs
from Puffing Billy.

> Dorrigo seems to think they can preserve everything even
> remotely significant in NSW. Dorrigo hasn't concentrated on just
> mainline, branchline, industrial or any other type of railway.

Have a closer look at the Puffing Billy Museum. They have various gauges,
government and industrial (and bush) operators, even an overseas loco. Items
that you consider insignificant are considered significant by others. Which
industrial locos in our collection should we have let go to scrap? The RODs
maybe?

> It is
> touch and go as to whether one museum for the whole state will be
> viable, without having two like in NSW.

I take it you are refering to RTM. I don't think two museums 600km apart are
going to drain each other's market. As John pointed out, when we open we may
help create interest in railways generally and encourage people to visit
other sites.

> And if you collect too much, you will never have enough resources to
> look after all of it.

We are doing OK so far. Our bigest problem is getting all the marooned
rolling stock to Dorrigo, where it can be properly conserved. We are making
good progress with earthworks to create space to construct track and then
moving items onto it.

> In Australia most of the
> population doesn't even go outside the capital cities, which is a
> problem for preserved railways in regional areas.

The Dorrigo Rainforest Centre gets 180,000 visitors a year. We should have a
ready market. This is no accident. Potential patronage levels was one of the
critical factors in selecting Dorrigo.

> The attitude that we can copy the UK is ludicrous as we don't have
> anywhere near the level of resources of the UK.

We don't have anywhere near the number of preservation groups and preserved
locomotives either.

Cheers

Trevor