Re: Dorrigo 19th Century Treasures

James Brook wrote...

> One of the main reasons why most people (including myself) are skeptical
> of Dorrigo is because you continue to purchase locomotives and
> rollingstock when you aren't in a position to look after what you
> already have. The 44 is an example of this. 4401 and 4490 are already
> with a heritage railway company or museum so its not like the 44 you
> have is the only one left. There is a limit to what a museum can look
> after. If a museum continues to collect items just because they are
> available, they will get to the stage where they have so much stuff they
> can't look after any of it properly. I think Dorrigo should concentrate
> on preserving what they have before they begin to aquire new items,
> unless it is significant and relevant to the region and no one else is
> willing to take it. I don't see how a 44 is relevant to the Dorrigo line
> and there are still quite a few left in NSW.

OK, lets look at 4420. The only deterioration since it has been in our
possession is the red terror paint has faded. Our policy is to collect items
of significance to NSW (not just Dorrigo). The 44 class would have to be
close to the most historically significant diesel classes in NSW. In any
event 44 class did work the Dorrigo line. 4420 was given a heavy overhaul,
and did not return to service. It should have been THE 44 for any group that
wanted one. As far as I am aware, we were the only group to show interest in
it.

Given that it was our money and labour that purchased it and conserved it,
this exercise has cost you nothing. I think we have the right to determine
our own policies and priorities.