Re: March Railway Digest

Barry Campbell wrote:

> Digest is very good compared to any of the other enthusiast magazines in
> this country. It has a variety of interesting articles and does not seem
> be made up entirely of media releases.
>
> I really don't care if the trainspotting info is wrong from time to time.
> After all, it is provided by volunteers and, gee, who really cares if the
> Broken Hill train was said to be 10 or 20 minutes late on Tuesday when it
> runs on Thursday (I don't know what day it runs!).
>
> I would suggest those who have criticisms should run their own magazine.
>
> Barry Campbell

I am intrigued to as what other Railfan  magazines in Australia you read.
You
talk about other magazines not being up to the standard of Digest.  Could
you
please tell us what your thoughts are.   I have heard a lot of criticisms of

various magazines over the years, and this is why Motive Power has
evolved.   I
do realise some people are quick to complain or make out a point of
something
wrong, but I agree with Derek and support what he is saying about voluntary
contributions. They are very important for the majority of Australian
railfan
magazines to exist. Whilst some of this information may not be correct from
time to time, we cannot always check every piece of information that passes
over our desks.
My message to those people who wish to point out mistakes or wrong
information
via newsgroups. Send in reports yourself or better still offer your services
a magazine for proof checking.

This is not a go at anyone in particular, but to help some of you understand

that editing a magazine takes a lot of time and effort. and nothing worse
than
people talking behind your back about the mistakes, but will not help to
solve
some of these problems.
But on the other hand, if you find mistakes in a magazine, does this stop
you
from buying it in the future ??

Stuart Ellis
Motive Power Publications