Re: March Railway Digest

In article <8a85u9$g83$1@news1.mpx.com.au>,
  "Dave Proctor" <thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> Barry Campbell wrote in message ...
> >
> >Dave Proctor wrote in message <8a5e3t$7ae$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
> >>I did not write this (I am keeping my criticism of the many faults
in
> >Digest
> >>to myself, as I do not wish to be flamed again).
> >>
> >Give it a rest!
>
> It is just that the original was from a Deja account, and was from
someone I
> had never seen in here before. Everyone is accusing me of constantly
> nitpicking with RD, and I did not want to be accused of going
underground to
> do it.
>
> >Digest is very good compared to any of the other enthusiast
magazines in
> >this country.
>
> It would want to be with paid editorial staff.
>
> >It has a variety of interesting articles and does not seem to
> >be made up entirely of media releases.
>
> It would want to be with paid editorial staff.
>
> >I really don't care if the trainspotting info is wrong from time to
time.

> I don't care about that - I care about *obvious* errors that should be
> picked up by anyone with a half working knowledge of NSW railways.
>
> >After all, it is provided by volunteers
>
> Derek is paid a lot of money for a volunteer then.
>
> >and, gee, who really cares if the
> >Broken Hill train was said to be 10 or 20 minutes late on Tuesday
when it
> >runs on Thursday (I don't know what day it runs!).
>
> It matters when people who are paid money print obvious errors like
>this.
Magazines with world class repution like Today's Railway, Rail(UK),
Train,Railway Gazette still make mistakes frequently, they have more
full time paid editorial teams then RD as well as inside connection
with either CEO of an operator or manufacture didn't stop them to
report something wrong.

> >I would suggest those who have criticisms should run their own
magazine.

> I edited a non-railway magazine (28 pages, bi-monthly) for 2 years in
> 1992/3. I will not go into it here what that magazine was, but several
> posters to aus.rail know what it was. Give me the money that Derek is
being
> paid to produce Digest, and I will produce my own magazine. As a paid
> employee of the ARHS (NSW Division) he is accountable to the members
for the
> standard of the production. As one of those members, I am entitled to
> criticise the standard of the publication.
>
> Dave
I prefer some kind of message board/chat on the internet(well dah!).
The thing is message board like "aus.rail" can provide you VERY up to
date information and comments from another subscriber.

But I won't stop buying RD and "motive power" either. I can't
really "imaging" the color scheme of CFCL or FA by just read the
description in words. I really have to see the pictures and RD/Motive
Power can provide them.  I rekon RD is good enough, on the other hand
been accurate is important as well. Dave , maybe you can volunteering
to give Derek a hand since you had experience in this field?
--
Cheers
James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/