Re: March Railway Digest

Barry Campbell wrote in message ...

>Dave Proctor wrote in message <8a5e3t$7ae$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>>I did not write this (I am keeping my criticism of the many faults in
>Digest
>>to myself, as I do not wish to be flamed again).
>>
>Give it a rest!

It is just that the original was from a Deja account, and was from someone I
had never seen in here before. Everyone is accusing me of constantly
nitpicking with RD, and I did not want to be accused of going underground to
do it.

>Digest is very good compared to any of the other enthusiast magazines in
>this country.

It would want to be with paid editorial staff.

>It has a variety of interesting articles and does not seem to
>be made up entirely of media releases.

It would want to be with paid editorial staff.

>I really don't care if the trainspotting info is wrong from time to time.

I don't care about that - I care about *obvious* errors that should be
picked up by anyone with a half working knowledge of NSW railways.

>After all, it is provided by volunteers

Derek is paid a lot of money for a volunteer then.

>and, gee, who really cares if the
>Broken Hill train was said to be 10 or 20 minutes late on Tuesday when it
>runs on Thursday (I don't know what day it runs!).

It matters when people who are paid money print obvious errors like this.

>I would suggest those who have criticisms should run their own magazine.

I edited a non-railway magazine (28 pages, bi-monthly) for 2 years in
1992/3. I will not go into it here what that magazine was, but several
posters to aus.rail know what it was. Give me the money that Derek is being
paid to produce Digest, and I will produce my own magazine. As a paid
employee of the ARHS (NSW Division) he is accountable to the members for the
standard of the production. As one of those members, I am entitled to
criticise the standard of the publication.

Dave