Re: throwing out perfectly good trains and trams

> The Z's should go by then (apart from a few to be retained for heritage
> purposes. But there is no magical figure of 30 years beyond which trams
> and trains become useless. W class trams are well over 40 years old and
> are still fine (overlooking the brake problem which is entirely the
> result of modifications). Restaurant W-class trams will still be
> running in 30 years. Some places in Europe run trams that are older
> even than this. Adelaide's trams are also very old.
Electrics usually can go longer then ever.....50 years old or more is quite
common.

> What I meant by Melbourne throwing out rolling stock before its time
> was especially in reference to the Harris trains many of which were
> less than 20 years old when they were thrown out. Yes, I know about the
> asbestos, but that could have been removed for a fraction of the cost
> of new trains. I think its also a bit early to be starting to discard
> Hitachis, as some of them are still only 20 years old and have another
> 10 - 15 years or longer of life left in them.
And by the time their retirement come along Sydney will still operate
something older.

>This is particularly so
> given the relatively light use that Melbourne trains get - at any one
> time outside peak hour, quite a lot of the fleet is sitting idle
> (probably as much as half or more in the evenings and on weekends).
> Around a fifth of the fleet isn't used at all even in peak hour!
Why not refurbish the Hitachi??? add airconditioner, better window ect. I
heard of it would be expensive to do so but definitely would be cheaper then
buy brand new trains.

> The same applies to Z class trams which are supposed to be starting to
> disappear from 2002. At present the newest of these trams are only 16
> years old meaning we shouldn't be even thinking of replacing them for
> at least another 15 years or so. When 2002 comes around the oldest Z's
> will still be under 30 years old.
Put them on less demanding route or peak hour shuttle say between
Melbourne University and St Kilda Junction. Or run as route 95 or Collin
street/Elizebath street shuttle.

> New trains and trams may be sexy and fun to take photos of, but if
> there is nothing wrong with the old ones, one has to wonder whether
> they are really needed and if they are to be bought why the older ones
> shouldn't be used to improve service elsewhere in the system, or to
> cater for extended routes and so on.
I think Melbourne still need Z and Hitachi and new ones as well, Hitachi can
stay for the airport line or peak hour additional service.

Cheers
James