Re: throwing out perfectly good trains and trams

Vaughan Williams <ender2000@my-deja.com> wrote in message
snip, snip, snip

> New trains and trams may be sexy and fun to take photos of, but if
> there is nothing wrong with the old ones, one has to wonder whether
> they are really needed and if they are to be bought why the older ones
> shouldn't be used to improve service elsewhere in the system, or to
> cater for extended routes and so on.
>
> Vaughan

The PTUA has this silly politically correct line, as if the traveling public
want to ride around in slow, drafty (or hot), uncomfortable rolling stock -
while the latest cars have every creature comfort (of course, I shouldn't
mention cars, that's politically incorrect too).
The public for the fortune in taxes they pay should get the comfort they
expect, at least on longer journeys. On shorter journeys they should get
comfortable, but high capacity (read fewer seats) vehicles.
The evil roadocrats of the 1950's and 60s who opposed public transport were
supported in the mind of the public by the proliferation of doggies, taits,
evans cars, end-platform cars and so on which characterised the time.
Bring on the new rolling stock.