Re: QR and Photographers

In article <388AD71D.EA91D320@ozemail.com.au>, James Brook
<ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> To put it simply, platforms are open to the public and as long as
> you are obeying the rules and you aren't disturbing others, the
>railway companies shouldn't harass you.

I think you'll find the Revenue Protection Officers might disagree with
you about that point. Try getting past one onto Bowen Hills platform
when one is around if you're not going to buy a ticket.

The point is that there are perfectly good ways and means for people to
take advantage of photographic opportunities without getting in the way
of QR staff. Being courteous, polite and obedient if they tell you to
push off, will probably go a long way to being able to get what you
want.

The original poster was unfortunately young enough & it seems, too near
the wrong type of train (a vandalised one) :-) As a result, an entirely
wrong attitude about his activities was reached and he was harrassed
about it.

People do deface trains & seek to profit from it. QR doesn't like that.
You shouldn't like that, it's costing taxpayers money.

>The whole problem is caused by
>railfans who don't obey the rules. These individuals ruin it for
>everyone else. If a railfan is disturbing others and not obeying the
>rules then I think the railways should throw them off the station.

I think if a railfan chose a quieter place to take their photo, they'd
have a better chance of success, and probably have enough room for a
better shot.

> Kuranda is not just a "tourist station". It is a fully working QR
> station that sees regular freight trains as well as the daily tourist
> trains. If they allow photography at Kuranda, then they should allow
> it everywhere else.

Yes I know it has freight trains. What I was originally going to say is
that because Kuranda is primarily a tourist operation, you might find
that freight operations are staggered around to reduce risk, but I
couldn't verify it :-)

Kuranda's running frequency and passenger load is much lower than
Suburban Brisbane, reducing the risk.

Seeya!