Re: [NSW] Female Guards/Drivers

one man trains eh?
what happens when someone falls between train and platform?
Who gives authorisation for trains to leave?
Bit much for a driver - more training and more work

Brendan

38840B38.7E3A996@ozemail.com.au">news:38840B38.7E3A996@ozemail.com.au...

http://lios.apana.org.au/~craigd

> > All of this sexist and racist debate makes you glad South Australia got
> > rid of guards a long time ago (as did Perth) and trains are by and large
> > one man operated.
> >
> > We do have female drivers and male and female train service officers.
> > I fail to see the problem.
> >
> > As for next station announcements - these are given by the driver in
> > Adelaide.    There seems to be a completely different ethos at work
> > here.
> >
> > Its basically that the rail system exists not to move trains from one
> > place to another but to move people from one place to another.   The
> > arguments so far seem to be from people who see their job as moving
> > trains not people and are upset by people who see their job as moving
> > people not trains.
> >
> > It might annoy some people silly that a comprehensive station
> > announcement is given each station but what about the customer?    Don't
> > I have a right as an infrequent traveller by rail in Sydney to
> > INFORMATION???
>
> It annoys me that these comprehensive announcements are made at every
station whilst the train is
> stationary.  I think it would be more productive to announce the next stop
only whilst the train is
> stationary, then do the comprehensive announcement when the train is
underway, thus saving time.  Of