Re: QR and Photographers

I am 17 years old and have never had my backpack searched, but come close to
it. I do a lot of photography on stations on the CityRail network and I have
been on the QR network.

I have been disgusted several times by the behaviour of staff. At Maitland 2
years ago, myself and a friend were at the south end on the platform just
taking photos of freight and passenger services on the line. A CityRail
employee came up and asked us to move - tripods and all - away from the end
of the platform. We were not over the fence and had valid tickets, but
despite that the person made it clear we werent wanted.

A similar incident happened at Campbelltown. Whilst waiting for the
inaugural Cumberland line train (which I and a group of friends were
catching) the staff approahed us three times asking us to move. Again
nothing illegal was being done.
Whilst I was on the CityTrain network I had similar treatment, despite
having only a camera (in it's tiny bag) and ticket.

Each time I stood my ground. Twice I have been threatened by staff that they
would call police. One tried to convince me it was "loitering". It is not
loitering because photography is a purpose for waiting around and even if
police are called then you are doing nothing wrong. Where are the no
photography signs?

Many of these incidents happened with the company of an adult.
If CityTrain has specific clauses not allowing photographers, then do your
photography from an overhead bridge or level crossing. They cannot stop you
there as you are on public property and no law disallows cameras there.

But despite this, usually I dont have to worry. I am normally in adult
company. Usually I let the SM know of my presence and purpose, and have no
trouble there. There are still some staff who know that their job involves
something others are interested in.

The other staff are the ones who probably wouldnt help an old lady across
the street, and have about as much legal knowledge as an ashtray.

Brendan

"Kevin Green" <kgreen@powerup.com.au> wrote in message
3885ad5b@grissom">news:3885ad5b@grissom...
> Hello,
>
> Yes following up to all this, it now seems as though I need written
> permission from QR in relation to taking pictures of Trains on the QR.
Also
> a few weeks back while I was in Maryboroughme and my friend were allowed
> take pictures on the platform and in the yard with no problems at all. He
> was even providing us with information as to when freight trains would be
> passing through. Very friendly staff there, I never seem to have problems
at
> Lawnton which is where I usually always go as it is just up the road from
> me.
>
> Also the fact that my backpack was searched is probably only because I am
> only 15 years old and people my age do these stupid things.
>
> Regards
>

> Matthew Green
> kgreen@powerup.com.au
> ICQ 51630312