Re: Changing Crews Was: Is it just me....or more "ROD" speaks again

> Are you saying you were driving a train, and didn't know what the
> locomotives were?    I would have expected that would have been
> information provided, along with train length, weight, etc.  As a
> railfan, I would have though that surely that knowledge would help
> train handling.

"You do your job and I will do mine" immediately springs to mind....but then
in the interests of harmony in this group{and understanding that the sermon,
recently read, was somewhat to blame}...I answers thus.
         That night, my railfan hat was firmly sitting on the set of drawers
at home, and my Freight Victoria hat was in place.
         Fellow Fan Steve B. (S310 or is it 311?)  brought the train up from
Melbourne and we both arrived at Riggs Creek about the same time. We changed
over at the Down end, and only having 5 mins to transfer accross, we spent
our time, exchanging friendly greetings, [sometimes the only time we see
mates is like this, for years on end]
        Now Steve had a mate with him David C., who is also a friend, so
that took a little time also. Now according to my diary.....
9358 (up)departed Benalla 0020 arriving Riggs Creek Loop at 0054
9357 (dn) arrived Riggs Creek Loop 0050 and departed 0057
So we were on the ground for less than 3 minutes, and Steve had to move 9358
out of the way before 9357 could depart. Hardly enough time for him to tell
me more than I already knew! That is..

"She's a good thing Rod".. "Yep! and so is yours Steve...See you again
Mate..Cheers" says I
I knew all I needed to know because the train was at Riggs Creek early, the
heaviest grades were behind her, and we had a 30 minute run to Benalla, we
had  consist sheets to peruse [which if  we bothered to look, would have
listed the locos on the top] and we had to get it in our heads how we would
manage the shunt at Benalla . My mate was to be on the ground, and the train
would be split into three sections, put back together as two trains, getting
the Geelong boys away as soon as possible, coz their night was just
beginning, placing wheat hoppers all the way to Oaklands. Arrived Benalla
0125. Oaklands departed 0131, and after shunting to the shed 9357 was on its
way at 0150...Pretty good eh!
And we were going to have an early night...Thanks to Steve and David!
Sign off 0330 Wodonga, instead of the normal 0645.....
Now I will admit, the F/V hat must have slipped a little when I heard the S
leave Benalla, even over the wailing A Class!...Ah thems the breaks.
      As to train handling. First thing you learn, is to listen to what you
are told, then find out for your self.
Take note of the Changeover drivers message, but decide yourself, what sort
of train it is.... Stretch it out, feel the slack take up, and power up to
speed, watch your gauges, and feel your train. When safe to do so, make a
brake application and test the stopping power of your train. Try the
Dynamics if fitted. Now Drive the Train accordingly.....easy!! [;o).....with
a little experience of course] I do not drive my train at Red Signals, and
stop on a mark! I drift up to the stopping point and if I do it right [10 %
of the time]   I need only apply the Independant to stop her rolling away. I
hate being with Drivers who fling their trains at Red Signals and stop on a
spot 5 meters short of the stick..too many chances for a mistake, and too
much stress. Most of these Gung-Ho types are gone now, the Doctors put them
off, or they got promoted to Foreman, or went to NR [;o)] Funny thing was we
all got to where we were going about the same time anyway.
            ..but now where were we......... you were suggesting I was
unproffessional...or what?
Rod ;o)
Just another day at the Office...but then there are the Pilots!