Re: Yet another Sydney derailment

<thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au> writes:

>>>Regardless of someone's employment record, mentioning a staff member's
name
>>>in the context you have is, I believe, quite illegal,
>
>>Under which law? And you quoted his name as well in your reply. Don't get
me
>>wrong, I think it was wrong to post his name, but nothing illegal about
it.

>Yes, but I did not mention his name in the first instance.

It does not matter. Media organisations are often sued for repeating what
someone has said, even if they play a recording of what was said. You are
just as liable for repeating it.

>The poster has defamed the character of the driver by making comments which
>he shouldn't have made.

And that is not illegal under criminal law. It could be argued that it was
tortios (tort = civil wrong) but that does not make it illegal.

Dave