Re: Yet another Sydney derailment

Garry Hoddinett wrote:

> Kingpin <kingpin1@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> h9nl7s4pnp7fq8ipp7john73q1j3druhe2@4ax.com">news:h9nl7s4pnp7fq8ipp7john73q1j3druhe2@4ax.com...
> > Just heard on the radio that a train has derailed at Hornsby.  Only a
> minor
> > derailment.
> >
> I was on a train where the guard said there was a "signal failure"  while
> the station staff at Waitara said a "derailment".   There were extensive
> delays to Shore line trains entering/ leaving Hornsby with trains queing
> down the Shore line with only a hundred metres or so between them.
> What was interesting though was that the guard actually gave a reason rather
> than leave passengers in the dark (as is more typical).  Fortunately I was
> on a train stuck at Waitara Station and I suggested to the guard that he
> notify passengers if the service (once it got to Hornsby) would be cancelled
> beyond Hornsby (it was a Berowra bound service).  He notified passengers
> that the service would indeed terminate at Hornsby - and a lot of passengers
> alighted at Waitara and the mobile phone lines went berserk!

Where do I start :). An 8 car K set put the first bogie through the catch points
at Hornsby on No 2 platform ( down Shore) Sydney End at around 6:10 pm this
evening. The rumour circulating round Cityrail was he came in far too quick into
the platform and misjudged it. The driver (Chris Priest) is well known with
Cityrail inspectors, and I would not be suprised if he is sacked over this one.
Yes it did cause a lot of problems I passed through on a down service to Berowra
at 6:50 pm (which did go to Berowra).. All down shore services were sent across
to No 1 platform. I passed there at 11 pm tonight, again,  and the car was re-
railed, and subsequently in the sheds, but minor track repairs were being
carried out.