Re: Yet another Sydney derailment

In <387E4454.81849C63@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>Did the train stop once about halfway down the platform?  There is an
>intermediate trip set at about 8 km/h to make sure the train has slowed down
>before reaching the red signal.  One story I heard was that the train tripped on
>on the low speed trip, then accelerated and went through the stick at the end of
>the platform.  At Hornsby, that is very easy to do.   Hornsby is a very short
>platform, and with a K set, to get the rear doors on the platform you need to go
>right to the signal.  The signal is about 5 metres before the end of the
>platform.  If you go to the end of the platform, you have passed the signal and
>are already in the dirt.

Not quite 5 metres... Probably about 2 to 3, but still, it's a tight fit
with an 8-car K set, but not so bad with anything else.

However, at the moment it's all speculation as to what actually happened.
Only the driver knows for sure.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport