Re: Yet another Sydney derailment

In <387C54B7.4694348D@tig.com.au> Tony Gatt <baulko@tig.com.au> writes:

>> * snip *

>> but I *am* defending him
>> as an individual who should not be getting his name attached to a posting
>> about an incident when no public statement has yet been issued to the media.
>> You don't see the name of the driver, guard, etc. of every other train which
>> derails thrown out to the public forum do you? ...

>Didn't I see the Drivers Name, Street and Suburb in a newspaper after the Glenbrook
>accident?

I can't remember exactly what was publiushed, but in any event the
publishing of that information is of course completely illegal, and it
doesn't matter in which medium it is published, unless the information has
already been given out in an official media release. Until then it's
considered private and confidential, *especially* for an incident like the
one at Glenbrook.

There is no way that management would release the home address, etc. of any
employee involved in a serious incident. It'd be totally unfair and would
result in constant media harrassment, etc. which is the last thing anyone
wants after being involved in any sort of incident.

>That doesn't make posting this guys name the right thing to do, but it does
>happen..

Yes, it does happen, and it actually sucks because there is nothing worse
than dragging someone's name, etc. into a public forum before the person has
been given a fair hearing, regardless of the degree of fault, etc. that
might be ultimately attributed to the person.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport